Monday, June 9, 2008

Shhhhh.. Hear That??

Shhh. Listen... Do you hear that?? Probably not. And you are not alone. Seldom in our busy, hustle and bustle lives do we take the time to STOP and LISTEN to the various messages that are put out there for us to hear. Often it is in the least likely places that we do receive a message and learn a valuable lesson.

For me mine came while having stitches removed today and whilst having a small conversation with my doctor as he worked his magic. I had commented on how it is difficult to adjust to Monday mornings, especially after a nice weekend. He smiled at me and said something amazing and enlightening that should serve as a lesson to us all. He said:

"Monday mornings are not a problem for me - they do not affect me in that way. For me Monday mornings are the same as any morning - I do not look at it as Monday morning or Thursday afternoon or Friday evening. No, I take each day, each moment of every single day the same way - I savor it, I slow it down and I enjoy every single second of it. If I am putting on my suit in the morning, I take my time and I enjoy every aspect of it. When I drink my coffee, I take my time and I really enjoy that cup of coffee. I come home and I hug my wife and I take my time to enjoy that hug. If I see someone rushing and racing in their car, I simply let them go ahead and go on with my day. If someone says something controversial or negative, I just smile and let it roll off of my back. The key is to ENJOY the journey, and the only way to do that is to enjoy every single moment no matter how mundane it seems - and not just the momentous ones."

I was amazed at this philosophy he had developed and you could tell just by looking at him as he spoke that he was deeply satisfied, deeply content, and really at peace with his life- all the good and all the bad.

And guess what - YOU can be this happy as well!! You just have to want to be this joyful, step back and savor each moment that makes up this crazy life and path we are traveling on.

Take the good doctor's advice -- no matter what you are doing -who you are speaking with, or what you encounter at any given moment-- endeavor to appreciate it, to enjoy it to the fullest, and do not wait until the end of the journey to see the value in your existence!

Try it -- trust me, he was very convincing and on to something...

Stay Strong!!

No comments: