Monday, April 13, 2015

Lack of Faith and Trust

"Is God able?

Yes!

Paul, in fact, wrote a letter to the church in Ephesus, saying, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us"(Eph. 3: 20).

One dad discovered this truth for himself.

You see, his son was demon possessed, and even Jesus's disciples were unable to cast out the evil spirit. But when the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion.

Mark 9 continues the story:

Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?"

"From childhood,"he answered.

"It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."

"'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for one who believes."

Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!". . .

[Jesus] rebuked the impure spirit. "You deaf and mute spirit,"he said, "I command you, come out of him and never enter him again."

The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out.

The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, "He's dead."

But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up. (vv. 21–27)

Jesus healed the boy despite his dad's lack of faith, demonstrated by his saying, "If you can,"instead of, "If you will."

But as soon as this father realized his mistake, he professed his faith: "I believe."

Then he asked for even more faith: "Help my unbelief."

So even the dad's faith was a gift from God.

But get this. For the first few moments after Jesus prayed, the boy appeared to be dead.

Can you imagine the doubt the father must have felt?

Personally, I think this is good news for those of us who have gotten a bad report or for those of us who continue to pray or believe when our situation seems hopeless.

Through Christ and his power, those things that seem dead can be very much alive.

Pray this:

Dear Lord,

I know you "can," so I choose to trust you, even when I cannot see what you're doing. I choose to look not at the bad report, or the difficult time in a relationship, or the tough situation I find myself in today, or the storm in my life that will not relent, but to you.
In Jesus's name, amen."

Stay Strong!

No comments: