Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Guiding Force~~~ Edward J. Flaherty 1923 -1998


My Dad, the late Sgt.Edward J. Flaherty, would have turned 87 this coming week.  There is not a day that goes by where I do not miss him and think of him, and speak to him.

I especially wish he could have been around to see my children grow up as I know they would have loved him as much as I did.

My Dad was a Great man and my very best friend.  He was ALWAYS there for me and having married and being in the midst of raising a family since he has passed, my respect and admiration for what he and my mom pulled off has only grown exponentially!  I do not know how they did it on their salaries, their income and all the financial pressures they faced at that time!

I thank God every day that he was my father and would give most anything to be able to take him out to dinner, on trips, or have him and my Mom stay with our family - and just impart on him the gratitude and love that I was probably not very good at expressing when I had that chance.

I know he knew I loved him but there were so many juvenile decisions that I regret making that probably hurt him -- despite my intentions to the contrary.  But such are life's lessons and why we must learn from them.

I KNOW I will see him again and that he already knows, guides, protects, and sees my children, and that one day we will ALL be together again.

That is the very core and basis of my Faith in the after-life and in Heaven.

For those of you who are fortunate enough to still have those close to you actually with you on this earth - take advantage of that reality and let them know how you feel about them! 

Share time with them.

Celebrate their presence - because it is so very fleeting!!

Happy Birthday, Dad!   I love you and miss you!

Stay Strong up there!! 

No comments: