Wednesday, April 25, 2012

BTO ...always lives!!!

Brendan O'Toole

He was many things in his short - way too short -lifetime!!

He was a precocious child, a cut up, a star athlete, a mentor, a sounding board, a class clown, a terror, a jokester, an incredibly bright student and child, a person you could not fool, a voice of reason, a rabid fan of basketball, a ferocious and limitless defender of his family and anyone he loved, a ferocious and FEARLESS defender of the weak and the helpless, a soft soul, a tough cookie, a rebel, a boundless and amazing father, a loyal and beyond dependable brother and friend, a devoted and loving and committed son, a student of life, a well read and astute human being. The list is endless....

Although we see written and hear it way too often...TRUST ME on this when I tell you....

Brendan O'Toole was truly ONE OF A KIND!!

But one thing he has never been accused of his whole life??

Subtlety!!!

Tonight I was rushing home after a late conference call and meeting.

As I made my way through midtown to the train, a young lady stopped me in my tracks on Madison Avenue.

She was no more than 25 years old and clearly from Europe given her seemingly Swedish accent.

She wanted to get to Times Square but was not sure where it was in relation to our location.

I explained where we were and said it was probably best to grab a taxi cab to her destination.

I tried to hail a cab for her to no avail and explained to her how to spot an open cab.

As we were trying, along comes a Pedicab!!

Interestingly, as we both spotted the Pedicabber approaching, she had this look of fear, and shook her head violently that she was not interested in traveling with this gentleman on his 3 wheel chariot!!

I sensed her blatant trepidation, and almost pre-warned, and as the Pedicabber launched into his pitch

I interrupted him and asked him how much to Crowne Plaza Times Square for the lady?

As prophesied by Brendan, this guy incredibly points to his sign of fares!!!

Not a word ..and he was clearly American and spoke English!!

Yet when asked how much he would charge he merely pointed to the ridiculously criminal sign of streets and avenues and stared at us!

Well, Brendan may not be here physically but let me tell you he was more than present spiritually!!

Possessed by BTO, I said to him:

"Are you kidding me?". "Flat fee to Crowne Plaza . No bull shit ... No games."

Well this clearly shook him up but he still had his game on!

After looking at me like "WTF?" He says how much do you want to pay?"

Inga from Sweden looks at me and clearly emboldened by our exchange, yet still skeptical whispers to me..
$20...

"10 dollars" I reply!!

He looks at me again like WTF?

So I say " my Bro in law drove a Pedicab and he would be pissed ay what you are pulling on this young lady."

He says "who is your Bro in law?"

I say simply "Brendan".

He clearly knew BTO and clearly embarrassed he says to me, "I knew Brendan, he was the best"

He then says to Inga, " $10 it is...plus tip...".  And flashes me a "come on Bro" look....

She looks at me and I say it is a good price and tell her to tip him ONLY If he is good and does a good job.

With a handshake I tell him to stop the pointing at the sign bullshit and be upfront with people. I told him to remember Brendan is watching him and to do the right thing!

She jumps in the pedicab and they disappear!! She looks back with a wave and a smile and she may now trust the industry again - and spread the word!

Brendan was many things, but he was never subtle and he is still telling us that he lived the last decade of his life fighting for justice and equity for his livelihood and WE NEED to fight for him now!!!

Who else will do it for him but we who loved him??

More to follow..

Stay Strong!

No comments: