Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Amazing Lesson for us all!!!!

This morning, as I am caught up in the normal commuting gyrations and thoughts, (disastrous commute again by the way with more snow), I am blown away by an article I came across and which I almost skipped over completely.

In our daily lives we often believe, whether perceived or factual, we are wronged by a fellow human being in some shape, form, or manner.

The offense can be gigantic in our minds, or tiny and minor, but no matter what we believe it to be we more often than not DESIRE to relataliate toward the offender!

Being the grandson of an Irishman and son of an Irish police officer, the deck is stacked against me in cases where I perceive to be slighted by this person or that.  I know it is wrong, but despite that knowledge and the understanding of HOW I SHOULD react, I rarely do! 

That is my flaw and it is something I work on daily -- and God willing I am making some progress on that front as I grow older. But nothing like what you are about to read about below!

Forgiveness is the word for it and it is an extremely DIFFICULT state to achieve for most of us when we perceive that we have been wronged!

Well, sit down for this one!

The link to the article is below and the article in it's entirety is below as well.

I will let you read it and all I ask is that next time you are cut off in traffic and want to flip the offender the bird, or someone insults you, or your incompetent and evil boss hurts you in some manner, or you feel that you cannot forgive someone for something they did to you or your family, I want you to remember this name:

Maria Boffa!

A simply amazing soul and a lesson for us all as we glide through this life and make things more complicated than we probably need to make them, complain of little things like they are the end of the world, and make mountains out of mole hills while others experience REAL problems and issues!

We do not realize how Blessed we all truly are -- but Maria Boffa can remind us daily now!

As a father, I cannot imagine the pain and anger and torture that Maria Boffa is undergoing today-- but when you read of her actions, you have to believe that she is an extraordinary, rare and amazing soul and her son is no doubt looking down on her with extreme pride and love!


Updated: Wed., Jan. 26, 2011, 4:09 AM


Grieving mom forgives drunk who mowed down her son

By WILLIAM J. GORTA
Posted: 1:37 AM, January 26, 2011

A grieving Brooklyn mother whose son was mowed down by a repeat-offender drunken driver comforted the handcuffed killer at his sentencing yesterday, rubbing his arm and telling him that she forgave him.


Luis Guamal, 25, wept and trembled as 79-year- old Maria Boffa crossed over to the defense table to offer solace to the man who sped away from a Dyker Heights crash that left cancer survivor John Boffa dying in the street last March.



"I wish nothing but the best for your life," she told Guamal.



"I forgive you."



Guamal then turned to address Boffa's family in the audience.



"I'm very sorry. I'm very, very sorry," Guamal said as his wife and two children cried on the other side of the courtroom. "I never meant to do anything like this."



Guamal pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide on Jan. 6 in exchange for a sentence of eight to 24 years in prison.



Boffa, 44, was a social-studies teacher at Grady HS in Brooklyn along with his wife Jaclynn , 31.



Jaclynn told the judge her husband had survived several bouts with cancer only to be "savagely left in the street" to die.



"Most human beings would treat an animal with more care," Jaclynn Boffa said. "You became a weapon of mass destruction."



The grief has forced her to take a medical leave from her teaching job.



"Waking up each morning is like a prison sentence," she said. "Every morning is like losing him all over again."


Would you be able to forgive?  Would I?  I pray we will never need to find out!!
God Bless and Stay Strong!

william.gorta@nypost.com


http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/grieving_mom_forgives_drunk_who_dEsSg4Eg4msTFHrtT7UdRN

No comments: